Sunday, March 16, 2008

Napoli cuffs

Ubiquitous Roman Fiat, classical cuffs. September, 2007.


My cuffs, Barba shirt. March, 2008.

I'm enjoying reading Unexpected Italy, a compilation of Travel and Leisure magazine stories on Italian cities. Gorgeous photos and a level of writing beyond the usual travel hyperbole elevate this picture book to a good read. Guy Trebay, one of my very favorite style writers, reports on the quirks of Naples. Neapolitan tailoring snobs, mainly Americans, argue the merits and faults of the esteemed tailoring houses (Kiton, Rubinacci) ad nauseum online. Let them nitpick construction details. I am a convert to Napoli shirts though. I've been wearing Barba, Borrelli and Finamore shirts lately in either a spread or broad button down collar. In a perfect size 15.75, they float on my torso. A fine agnolotti of cloth. Elements of each shirt is hand sewn by a Neapolitan mama. I've read rumors, probably apocryphal, of cigarette dust and pasta crumbs before the shirts are washed. Brilliant!

No comments: